Mabel Sunga Acosta

Wednesday, February 17, 2016

STATEMENT OF COUNCILOR MABEL SUNGA ACOSTA February 17, 2016


team acosta


A.     ON THE DEFERMENT OF THE ITEM RE: AMENDMENT REMOVING THE 10% GREEN SPACE

It was published that I “demanded” that the item be deferred on the 3rd and final reading. Not true. The Sangguniang Panlungsod is a collegial body.  We arrive at decisions through consensus. There were several of us, even those who voted yes to the amendment, who were huddled together on recess because there were environmental groups present in the gallery. It is a fact that their views and voices were not heard in this concern. Options discussed were, a. for a representative of the group to be given a chance to speak before the council; b. to defer the item and have a meeting with the environmental groups; c. to vote on third and final reading that day.  These options were discussed freely and intelligently in that huddle. The final consensus was to defer the item.
The environmental groups were informed and they were happy about it. After a few minutes they left the gallery. At some point I also went out to go to my office to go to the restroom. When I got back to the session hall, I was surprised that the item was being voted upon already on third on final reading, which was different from the consensus earlier.

B.      I WAS ACCUSED OF NOT DOING MY JOB

I am not a member of the Committee of Rules and Privileges and the Committee on Housing which handled the item.  Hence, my office did not receive any invitation.
I was listening to the discussions on the floor, and discussed it with some councilors too. I was also interested in what their opinions were about the item.  Even before I could raise my hand to be acknowledged by the presiding officer for remarks, a councilor approached me and tried to convince me to remove the required 10% green space and just incorporate it in the 30% open space. He said the trees and plants could be incorporated in the 2 meters setback from the sidewalk. I said councilor, the homeowner may have other plans. He could put a driveway on his lot to accommodate his car. So that piece of green space would be gone.  The buyer has a right to have access for his car to enter his lot. And then there would be buyers who do not want trees in the front area of their house for various reasons. He went on trying to convince me until it was already time to vote. When the time came for voting, I manifested that I want to explain my vote so that it is put on record in the sanggunian. I voted to retain the 10% green space because I feel that open space and green space are different. I do not want it to be incorporated in the 30% because that portion is already allotted for other significant needs of the homeowners. The 30% open space required by the national law is already allotted for roads, drainage, water and energy facilities, community facilities, amenities that may have been promised by the developer like club house or multipurpose hall, gym, basketball court, parks and playground etc. In the 30% open space, a large part of it is already eaten up by roads and drainage. Only a fraction of it would be left for community facilities for homeowners.  I believe it is a good and sound policy and is part of a progressive piece of legislation that Davao City is famous for.  And amending it would be a step backward. I voted no to the proposed amendment to remove it and incorporate it in the 30%. On both the 2nd committee report and 3rd reading, I gave the same answer and same vote. I believe I did my task well as a consistent legislator.

Why did Councilor Acosta not ask for a deferment on the 2nd reading?  Why did she not call the attention of the environmentalists on the 2nd reading?  I did not know that the views and voices of environmental groups were not heard at all the whole time.  I did not know that they were not given the chance to participate in the legislative process. I was as surprised as they were. It was only after the second reading that I learned that their views and voices were not heard at all.

C.      I WAS ACCUSED OF “STARTING THIS”

What exactly did I “start”? I am already 50 years old, half a century old. I have been a legislator from 2001 to 2010, and from 2013 up to present. More than 12 years. Even before I was an elected official, I was brought up as an independent young girl, growing up and slugging it out with 5 brothers; was a campus writer, a student leader, a Communications teacher, a broadcast journalist, a wife, a mother; an advocate for women and children’s welfare, good governance, education, environmental protection, etc.; a proud citizen of Davao, a productive member of society.
To those accusing me, what exactly did I start? Did I dictate upon, or commandeer, or summon environmental groups to manifest their sentiments to the council?  No. What I know is that whatever beliefs I carry now, have long been with me since my formative years during childhood, and has guided me through the years into maturity.
In all my 50 years on earth, I have never been so embarrassed, and unjustly and unfairly accused. I did not see it coming when I was “reprimanded”, so to speak. I could not believe it was actually happening. I was so disillusioned and frustrated with the unworthy conduct.  The crassness and absurdity of it all was a shock. Matanda na po ako. Alam ng mga taga Davao na ginagawa ko po ang aking trabaho. I will not claim to be an expert, but napagdaanan ko ang basics ng legislative process. I do not deserve the treatment that I got from my colleagues.  Shabby, unfair, and uncalled for, it was.  It is not necessary for everybody to like me, but my position as an elected representative of the people deserves respect.  I, and the people of Davao, do not deserve hot-headed outbursts. We deserve a calm and participative and intelligent democratic process.
How could I be accused of “starting” whatever? I have no control over environmental groups or advocates. They are responsible enough, and mature enough, and intelligent enough to think and act on their own. That we happened to have a similar outlook is a fateful coincidence. I just continue on from where I started a long way back. I had no intentions of painting anyone black or white. That is not my handiwork. Sound policy that puts a premium on the public’s well-being is shared by most of us.

D.     ON THE PRESENCE OF FR. TABORA IN THE CITY COUNCIL

After the 3rd reading, my office received a letter from Ecoteneo, which reads in part,

”… We are grateful for the consistent stand and show of commitment towards sustainable development that you have demonstrated, particularly your vote against the amendment to remove the 10% green space requirement in the CLUP (2013-2022).  This morning the Ateneo de Davao University hosted a press conference attended by youth groups representatives , the architects of Davao, the Urban Container Gardening (UCG) Movement and various interest groups in the city. Our University President, Fr. Joel Tabora, SJ, also shared his position on the matter, the points of which are shared by all. We are asking your kind office to give him time during the hearing tomorrow to share with the Council the sentiments and concerns of the public who are constituents of your colleagues in the City Council. We are very much aware that the stone has been cast, and the vote has been made last Tuesday, albeit the decision to defer and give way to public consultation. We are asking for a few minutes of the precious time of the Council to give the public a chance to be heard and a voice that was lost in the decision making by the people’s representatives. May the spirit of dialogue bring us together as we charter the growth of Davao where we are proud to say that life is here.”

I explained to them that there is no hearing the next day. The voting has been done already in the 3rd and final reading last week. What is scheduled for the next day is the regular council session.  Still they followed up on their request for a few minutes for Fr. Tabora.  So the next day, I availed of the privilege hour starting with reading en toto the letter-request I got from Ecoteno, then asking for a few minutes recess to allow Fr. Tabora to speak. However, Fr. Tabora was not able to make it as explained by his representative, Mylai Santos. Ms. Santos also stated that a petition is in the works, and hopes that the conversation continues.  On record, I asked that Fr. Tabora be allowed to speak in the next session. On record, there was no objection from the body. On February 9, 2016, I was in Manila on official business and the regular session started early and ended early to accommodate guests from Cordova, Cebu, and the councilors who are set to fly to Manila that same morning. On February 16, 2016, I availed of the privilege hour and moved for a recess to allow Fr. Tabora to speak. And then there were colleagues who tried to stop Fr. Tabora from speaking. I am thankful that Councilor Militar supported me in that motion, hence Fr. Tabora was able to speak. I am also thankful to other colleagues who perhaps sympathize with me, but could not express it in public.

E.      ON PRIVILEGE HOUR

     The Council’s House Rules provides for rule eleven: Privilege Hour. It says any member of the council can avail of this privilege. It did not have restrictions on subject matter. Why anybody would want to stop me from availing of the Privilege Hour that would allow me and my guest to speak is questionable. That is my right. Just as my guest, who is a constituent of this city, has a right to be heard by the leaders they elected as their representatives.


F.       MEDIA COVERAGE

It was just this Monday when Ecoteneo asked assistance from our office if they could get an appointment with the Vice Mayor so that Fr. Tabora could make a courtesy call before the session started. It was granted by the Vice Mayor. For the record, it was the Vice Mayor himself who suggested in his text message to me that Fr. Tabora, and myself along with two other councilors be the guests of the media hour before session starts. I thanked him for what I thought was a kind gesture. It was a good sign, I thought then. It would also be my first time to be interviewed after the voting was done. The following day, Tuesday, a representative of Ecoteneo was at the media hour with us councilors, and Fr. Tabora was at the courtesy call. Session started right after, and Fr. Tabora was able to speak during the time allotted to me as member of the council during the privilege hour. What happened to me after that, was truly unexpected. 


G.     ON LEGISLATION

In the vernacular, the City Council is Sangguniang Panlungsod. Sangguni means advice or consultation. Lungsod refers to city or constituency. It is commonly held that good policies come out when the voices of the people are heard.


H.     APPEAL

I love Davao City and its people. I love that Davao is different from other places. I love that Davao City has good leadership and way ahead in terms of progressive legislation on public health, peace and order, environment, women and children, etc. I love that Davaoenos are proud of their city and what it has become now. True enough, a big part of the land of our City is still green due to agricultural and protected areas, and the City Government has also provided a big budget for green programs.  It also holds true that if we maintain green spaces in subdivisions and other urban areas, it will be accessible to people of all walks of life, rich or poor, young and old, who want to avail of its benefits for health and well-being. The residents within the subdivision need not spend much to enjoy green spaces as these are closer to home.

The idea of all stakeholders working towards a win-win option is not far-fetched.  Tax incentives for investors with green initiatives, or “green compliant”, could be explored, for instance. There will not be a lack of good suggestions from various sectors. A collective dream for a DAVAO CITY GREEN CODE or GREEN ORDINANCE is also possible. The concept of “business-friendly and at the same time  environment-friendly “ endeavors could be achieved. Let us altogether appeal for sobriety, level-headedness, and conscientiousness. Davao City and Davaenos are unique and different in a good way. We are passionate, pro-active, forward-looking, and very blessed.  We would love to keep it that way. For our children, and their children’s children, too.


Meantime, we work, and wait. And hope for the best.                                                            ( fin )

1 comment:

Mustache said...

I am with you in this fight Ma'am. I hope you won't get discouraged by the way they disrespected you but instead fight more for what is for good for Davao and its people.
God bless you!